Fellows - Alumni Neurosurgery Service


Mixter Laboratories
Mixter Laboratories

Starting in 1955, David Crockett, Associate Director of the MGH, successfully solicited funds for the construction of research laboratories to be specifically a component of the Neurosurgical Service. Funds were supplied by the Department of Neurosurgery

Two years later, in October 1957, the Mixter Laboratories for Neurosurgical Research were formally dedicated on Ether Day 1957.

Although gravely ill with carcinoma of the lung, William Jason Mixter was, able to attend the dedication ceremony.

Mixter Library
Mixter Library
Dr. William Jason Mixter was Chief of the Neurosurgical Service at MGH from its formal inception in 1939 until his retirement in 1940, and again during the war years, 1941-1946.

Fellows and Staff - Alumni MGH Neurosurgery
Many of the photos are from the 'Mixter Library Collection', the semi-annual 'Resident Group Picture' series, the "Early history and Neurosurgery to 1939" by Dr Fred Barker and/or from "A Short History and Alumni Record (1909 to 1983)" br Dr Nicholas T. Zervas and/or "The Sequel" also by Dr Nicholas T. Zervas.


MGH Neurosurgical Service - Phone: 617-726-8581 - Massachusetts General Hospital - Fruit Street - Boston, Massachusetts 02114